*This recipe uses a seasoning blend (My Favorite Roast Seasoning Blend) found in the eCookbook, Mix it / Store it / Make it ~ Entrees and Seasonings. Click here to purchase and make the seasoning for your pantry!
Why the name 'lucky'? 2 reasons...
- In the south we have a tradition of serving black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck. My husband doesn't like black eyed peas, so this is my way of serving them without complaints!
- I always make the mixture of dried beans out of 7 different types of beans / peas. Lucky #7!
1 3/4 cup mixed dried beans and peas (such as: pinto, green peas, black eyed peas, kidney...)
1/3 cup My Favorite Roast Seasoning Blend
6 cups water
15 oz can stewed tomatoes
16 oz smoked sausage, sliced
- Clean beans and place them in a 6 quart slow cooker with the water and seasoning; stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- When beans are tender (and NOT before*), add the tomatoes and sausage.
- Let cook a little longer, until the sausage has warmed through.
Serves 6-8. Great with cornbread or beer bread!
*Why not put the tomatoes in at the beginning? There is a chemical reaction between tomatoes and dried beans. If tomatoes are added to the cooking process while beans are still hard, they will never get soft.
Like it? Love it? Made it? Made it better?
|Just click the comment link below to leave us a note!|