This one is easy to make and uses things I typically have on hand. It will keep on the shelf for a year (although mine never has a chance to sit around that long!)
1- 5# bag of flour (=20 cups)
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons +2 teaspoons sugar
2/3 cup baking powder
1# can of shortening, not butter style (= 2 cups)*
- In a very large bowl (you will need room to work the shortening in with your hands) place all of the dry ingredients. Using a whisk, combine these ingredients thoroughly, scraping the sides and pulling up from the bottom repeatedly. When you think you have done it enough...do it a few minutes longer to be sure all of the ingredients are blended together.
- Add the 1 pound can of shortening (or 2 cups) and work it into the dry ingredients with your hands. Continue until the mixture resembles cornmeal and forms a ball if you squeeze it together.
- Store in the pantry (cool dry place) for up to a year. Use in recipes that call for biscuit or baking mixes.
- One full recipe (24 cups) will fill a gallon sized container
- If you want to package it in bags that are equal to a 40 oz box of biscuit mix (the typical sized box of branded mixes on grocery store shelves), scoop 8 cups of the blend into gallon sized bags and seal. This recipe makes three 8 cup bags.
|Shortening in the dry blend...ready to combine! Take off the rings and dig in!|
|Just work your hands through the ingredients, squeezing as you go. It won't take as long as you think to get it all worked in.|
|It's done when it looks like white cornmeal...like this!|
|To be sure you have it completely blended, grab a handful and squeeze. If it forms a ball that holds together, it is ready.|
|This container has a permanent place on my pantry shelf...and as you can see, I've already used half of the container and I just made it the day before (see Breads eCookbook...I use it a lot for those bread blends!)|
I have a chair saved at the table just for you! With a quick email subscription, I'll let you know when a new meal has been served! There are 2 ways to subscribe:
- Sign up for daily post notifications ~Subscribe /CLICK HERE to be notified by Email
- Sing up for the monthly newsletter summary of posts AND get additional kitchen tips and special cookbook offers.~ CLICK HERE to subscribe by email and learn about the gift with subscription.
- SPECIAL GIFT WITH NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION: receive a printable 1 week meal planner FREE!
CLICK HERE to find places I may be pulling up a chair and linking this post.
These are tables I recommend you visit when you have time!
Like it? Love it? Made it? Made it better?
Just click the comment link below to
say hello, leave us a note or
just encourage me with a smile!